Because I am a fun guy, here are some mushroom facts:
- The largest organism on earth is a fungus. The Honey Mushroom (Armillaria ostoyae) covers 2,384 acres (nearly four square miles) of soil in Oregon’s Blue Mountains. It's estimated to be 2,400 years old but might be over 8,000 years old.
- Some mushrooms glow in the dark. This is because of chemicals called luciferins, which are named after the devil. (Well. . . the original Latin word means "Light-Bringer." There's also a saint with that name, and it is sometimes used to refer to Jesus. The more you know. . .
- The origin of the actual word mushroom isn't quite known. Some sources show that it comes from Franco-Germanic words for "moss" and some show it goes back to Latin, or it may be older.
- The common mushroom, the champignon mushroom, the Crimini mushroom, and the Portobello mushroom are all the same mushroom - Agaricus bisporus.
- There is a species of mushroom called "Chicken of the Woods." Three guesses as to what it is supposed to taste like.
- There is a species of mushroom that can (I swear I am not making this up) induce spontaneous orgasm in human females. (Males who tried it reported no reaction but noticed a foul odor.)
- There is an entire Order of fungi named Phallales that are named after their resemblance to the human dong. Although some members (heh) look as if they may have been created by H.P. Lovecraft, or designers of some of the more outré anime.
Tonight's PRESHOW Q (here AND the FB page):
Toad, from the Super-Mario franchise is a member of the Mushroom Kingdom. He's based off the red super-mushroom from SM1, which made Mario double in size. What effect does Amanita muscaria (its real life basis) have on humans who eat it?
Answer IN PERSON by 7:55 for a shot at prizes!
Excelsior et Irrumabo Carcinodes!
Frumenti mannus in puteum proiceret foetida foraminis Nationalis Socialismi.
Barmacy is at 804 W. Market St., Akron OH 44303
Their Facebook Page.
Your weekly link roundup:
Last Call Productions - Facebook
Last Call's Weekly HINTS (SERIOUSLY - Check the HINTS)
Last Call USA's Trivia League
check LEAGUE SCORES here.
ROB at Last Call
You are HERE.
Our company store.
I published a book!
Post a Comment